Licensed Practical Nurse - Surgical Unit
Accountable to the District Manager, Surgical Services, the Licensed Practical Nurse practices as a team member and works to full scope of practice, independently providing nursing care to individuals with stable health conditions and predictable health outcomes, and consulting and practicing with other healthcare professionals when caring for individuals with unstable conditions and/or unpredictable health outcomes
The Licensed Practical Nurse is one of the collaborators in the Collaborative Care Model, participating in the provision of holistic, comprehensive care to meet the needs of individuals, families and groups.
As a member of the team, the Licensed Practical Nurse applies practical nursing theory in the assessment of patients, collaboration in the development of the nursing care plan, implementation of the care plan and ongoing evaluation of the patient
The LPN ensures that the principles and practices that guide AVH such as the mission, vision, values, expected behaviours, the leadership philosophy, organizational health, population health, ethics, safety, quality, partnerships and interprofessional collaboration are integrated within the services they provide and through the messages they deliver.
- LPN currently licensed in the province of N.S.
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification (annual re-certification required)
- Successful completion of recognized physical assessment course
- Candidates will have successfully completed Pharmacology through the LPN Core Program or through a post graduate course approved by the Practical Nurses Licensing Board
- Recent experience administering medications
- Recent (within last five years) experience in the care of acutely ill medical/surgical patients
- Motivated with a strong customer service orientation building solid health care client/partner relationships
- Demonstrated competencies in working with a team approach to care, with the philosophy of maximizing patients self care abilities
- Demonstrated competencies in providing safe care for patients, within the practice of least restraint
- Demonstrated commitment to continued professional development
- Demonstrated accountability
- Demonstrated communication and conflict resolution skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated judgement and decision making skills
- Demonstrated collaboration and teamwork skills
- Commitment to continuous improvement and innovation
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team
- Commitment to promoting a culture which supports safety, ethical practice and organizational health
- Demonstrated good attendance in current and past employment
- Exemplary work history as demonstrated in current and past employment
- Physical capabilities to perform the duties of the position
- Willingness to work on other inpatient units if required
- Available to work all shifts
PREFERRED (Considered an Asset):
- Recent related experience in an acute care setting
- Ability to communicate in both French & English
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT AS PER CURRENT CUPE HEALTHCARE COLLECTIVE AGREEMENT AND AVH POLICIES, PROCEDURES AND PRACTICES.
Offers of employment contingent upon successful applicant providing a satisfactory Criminal Records check as well as a Child Abuse Registry Check.
AVDHA has a smoke free and scent reduced environment policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.