The Sterile Processing Aide is responsible to and works under the direction of the District Materiel Manager in collaboration with all internal and external users of the SPD Service to effectively provide safe, clean, and sterile equipment, supplies, and instruments according to prescribed approved procedures and techniques. The Sterile Processing staff will be responsible to function in all areas of sterile processing.
The SPD Aide ensures that the principles and practices that guide AVH such as the mission, vision, values, expected behaviours, the leadership philosophy, organizational health, population health, ethics, safety, quality, partnerships and interprofessional collaboration are integrated within the services they provide and through the messages they deliver.
- Grade 12 required
- Knowledge of sterile supply processing equipment, e.g. 4 Cube Washers, Cart wash, Amps Washer/Sterilizer, Ultrasonic, Pasteurmatic, etc
- Demonstrated understanding of the role of Materiels Management Service in the delivery of patient care and understanding of how errors may affect medical treatment and cause financial loss
- Demonstrated accountability
- Demonstrated judgement and decision making skills
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service
- Demonstrated communication and conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated collaboration and teamwork skills
- Commitment to continuous improvement and innovation
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Demonstrated planning, organization and time management skills
- Commitment to promoting a culture that supports safety, ethical practices and organizational health
- Demonstrated good attendance in current and past employment
- Exemplary work history as demonstrated in current and past employment
- Demonstrated good body mechanics and physical capabilities to perform the duties of the position including:
- standing for long periods
- lifting trays and other articles of approximately 30 pounds in weight
- moving a rolling weight in excess of 50 pounds
- Manual and finger dexterity along with good visual and hearing perception in order to maintain safety and efficiency of operations
- Availability for all shifts, including weekends and holidays, including short notice
- Travel within the District
PREFERRED (Considered an Asset):
- Minimum 9 months recent related experience
- Knowledge of or previous experience in nursing, infection control or microbiology
- Basic computer skills
- Graduate of recognized Sterile Processing Technicians’ course
- Must be willing to successfully complete an appropriate Central Supply Technicians’ Program within 36 months of date of hire
- Ability to communicate in both French & English
Terms of employment as per current CUPE Healthcare Collective Agreement and AVH Policies, Procedures and Practices
Position to commence as soon as a suitable candidate is selected
Offers of employment contingent upon successful applicant providing a satisfactory Criminal Records Check as well as a Child Abuse Registry Check.
AVDHA has a smoke free and scent reduced environment policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.