District Patient Flow Manager (Acute Care)
Reporting to the Vice President Acute Care and Chief Nursing Officer, the District Patient Flow Manager is responsible for daily bed management/patient flow/discharge facilitation within Annapolis Valley Health (AVH). Provides leadership, and creates a culture of shared accountability by collaborating with others, for the planning, development, implementation and ongoing evaluation of district policies, standards and processes to facilitate appropriate bed utilization, patient flow, and discharge facilitation. Promotes a philosophy that supports best options for care at the end of the acute care phase, including safely returning patients to their home with support or coordinating alternate, timely, appropriate care across the continuum of community services. Responsibilities include liaising with other District Health Authorities, health sectors and community partners, and the Provincial Patient Flow Systems Facilitator to facilitate efficient and effective use of district and system resources and smooth transfer of patients within and between sites, organizations, Continuing Care, community services and other community resources. Coordinates use of the Medworxx Patient Flow System at AVH, collects and analyzes data, provides reports and supports program planning and utilization review for acute care.
The District Patient Flow Manager ensures that the principles and practices that guide AVH such as the vision, mission, values, expected behaviours, the leadership philosophy, organizational health, population health, ethics, safety, quality, partnerships and interprofessional collaboration are visible at the front line and within daily activities.
- Baccalaureate degree in Health Services Administration or a related health discipline. Master’s degree preferred
- Ongoing professional development and/or upgrading is required
- Information systems - ability to work within Microsoft Office suite, Meditech and/or other utilization/patient flow programs. Proficient in development and maintenance of spreadsheets and databases.
- Minimum 3 years of recent related experience in a clinical leadership and/or clinical management role in an acute care environment
- Experience in quality and process improvement, program planning and evaluation
- Experience and demonstrated effectiveness as a change agent within an acute care environment
- Broad and current knowledge of the health system, bed/utilization management and patient flow practices
- Knowledge of principles of utilization management
- Knowledge of quality/process improvement principles, tools and techniques
- Knowledge of data sources and systems and demonstrated skill in data management and statistical analysis
- Knowledge of existing systems and processes that support movement of patients through acute care system (i.e. innovative best care options for discharge)
- Demonstrated problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated leadership, team building, mentoring and coaching skills
- Demonstrated accountability and responsibility
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to collaborative, interdisciplinary practice
- Demonstrated ability to build internal and external collaborative relationships
- Demonstrated networking, negotiation and change management skills
- Ability to anticipate and assess impact of changes in utilization patterns to one part of the system on the overall system
- Ability to prepare and deliver reports, presentations and education sessions
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous quality improvement and evidence based practice
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development
- Commitment to promoting a culture that supports safety, ethical practice and organizational health
- Sound knowledge of and demonstrated compliance with standards, ethics and legislation
- Demonstrated good attendance in current and past employment
- Exemplary work history as demonstrated in current and past employment
- Physical capabilities to perform the duties of the position
- Travel is required
PREFERRED (Considered an Asset):
- Current registration as a regulated healthcare professional
- Previous experience in utilization and/or patient flow management
Terms of Employment as per AVH Policies, Procedures and Practices
Position to commence as soon as a suitable candidate is selected
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful applicant providing a satisfactory Criminal Records Check, as well as a Child Abuse Registry check.
AVDHA has a smoke free and scent reduced policy
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.